Sunday 20 December 2015

Reflection about the last four tests

Vocabulary test
So the vocabulary test was definitely pretty easy for the class. 5 out of 16 got all of it right and made 100%. The lowest was 74%. I got some funny answers in the gap fill though I let them count if they were in correct English. If they used flour instead of sugar to make it sweeter, I took half a point off because it just did not make sense. So the kids could get almost all the point even if they didn't give the answers the way I had intended. But there was just one way to get all gaps filled with a decent word, so if they chose a wrong word somewhere they got stuck at some point.

Listening Comprehension test
Well this was a given test out of the teaching material Young World and it was a discussion of three kids about baking pancakes for a breakfast at school. It had a given grading scheme and the kids got grades between 5.5 and 3.5. The average was 4.57... The statements were kind of tricky and in some was one part right but one part wrong and the "was not in the text" has caused some difficulties too. I have to be honest. I thought, that they had become used to understanding spoken texts by now, since I only speak English with them and since they were listening actively and passively to a similar text. I always want them to do great in tests but only 6 out of 17 were above the 5 which means "good". 9 were between 4 and 5 and two were below 4.

I have wondered about those lower grades a lot and asked myself what I should have done differently to prepare them in a better way, but maybe I just cannot expect every child to be perfect all the time and I have to live with those kind of grades too. I'll definitely do more of those listening comprehensions with the book I'm reading to them in German. I wanted to do this anyway but I just didn't find the time but I'll prepare some over the holidays.

Question test
I don't know maybe I'm not realistic enough but I really thought, that my question test was pretty easy and that the kids were well prepared for it but the results showed me how wrong I was... The maximum someone reached was 29 out of 36 points. There were questions like
  • Do you crazy?
  • Do you are crazy?
  • Does she can dance?
  • Wants he more? 
  • and many like this...
So I realised pretty quickly that I had to work on that again. As I entered the result into the "Lehreroffice" I got an average of a little below 4 which is not sufficient at all. The highest grade would have been a 4.75. So I took the 29 points and made that the 6 (highest grade)... That way I had a range of grades between 6 and 4 and an average of 4.9... When I handed back those tests, I explained the class that there will be more of those question tests and that then they needed to get more questions right for these grades... By thinking about it now, I could have given the best a 5.5 because I don't really think that 29 out of 36 points really deserves a 6 but now the grades are made...

Unit 1 - Much and Many test
This was a test out of the teaching material Young World and it was about formulating questions with how much and how many. Well this one had a given grading scheme too. And here they got a range of grades between 6 and 3.25 thought only one grade was below the 4. The average was 4.95. AND about in 2 out of 3 mistakes they mixed up the much and many. They got most questions right and this showed me that working on those questions was not completely worthless. There were still a few kids that forgot the "do" in all their questions but most of them got those easy questions right.

I'll post a separate post about how I put those grades in the "Lehreroffice" and how I weighted them.

1 comment: