Tuesday 1 December 2015

20th of November 2015 - Vocabulary Training

So, I finally get to write about the last 4 lessons I taught... We had some issues at home that took way too much time but that's kind of solved now so here we go again. I do hope I can still remember the lessons. Maybe the first ones won't be as detailed as they usually are.

Well but like I said, I put up those questions on the wall and tried to get them sorted. My intention was to put them in groups: 1. positive questions, 2. negative questions, 3. questions with question words. And in each group there are the yellow ones with auxiliary verb and the green ones with "to do". I replaced one of those questions but forgot to take a new picture... "What do you want?" is there instead of "Where do you go?" because I was actually thinking of "Where are you going?" as I wrote down that question...


At the beginning of the lesson I made the class line up in two rows and handed one very long mikado stick to the ones in the front. Without saying anything about the wall I read one question out loud and the one who found it first and touched it with the stick got a point for his/her group.

After being through the groups once I let them discuss in their groups what they could find out about the order in which I had hung up the questions and since we'd done something similar before they all found out what green and yellow meant and the obviously saw the groups too. So the next round, I gave them an answer, and they had to be the first to find the question that goes with it to get the point.

Then they went back to their desks and worked in pairs. On kid read the last word of the question like "day?" - pause - "per day?" - pause - "drink per day?" - until the other one found out which question he/she had in mind.

The rest of the lesson was supposed to be a vocabulary explanation training but there were so much into these questions they didn't really understand, what I wanted them to do. I wanted them to hold their vocabulary cards, and describe a words without saying it. And their partner had to find out, which word they were trying to describe. But sooner or later most partners started to ask questions instead of letting the other explain. Time was almost up so I knew I had to work on this again.

At the end of the lessons I announced two English tests that I wanted them to take. One in a week an one the Monday after. Two tests with two different focuses. The first was about the vocabulary and the second about formulating questions.

These are the aims for the two tests: AIMS

1 comment:

  1. With the aims, do the kids know that knowing the 40 words means spelling them correctly or is this only oral? I think it's writing. So I would add "I can correctly write/spell the 40 words and use them in gaps" or something!!

    ReplyDelete