Sunday 13 September 2015

10th of September 2015 - passive listening in class

Oh I almost forgot to add something...

This morning I had the audio text of "Shopping for a school camp" play over the stereo. I turned it on before the class arrived at the classroom. I set the volume so that I could just hear it from anywhere in the room.

Then the class came in and got ready for school. They chatted and some took out their book to read. After the bell rang for the second time a welcomed them and told them what we were going to do today. Then I gave them some information on the test they were about to take. They had to put everything aside and get ready.

Then, before handing out the tests I congratulated them for having spent about 15 minutes on learning English this morning and they had no idea what I was talking about. None of them had realised, that I had the text playing over the stereo so they all went very quiet because they wanted to hear it. And they did. Each one of them had to admit that they heard it.

"This is exactly what passive listening is all about - it doesn't take any time and it shouldn't bother you at all. You can just let it play while doing something totally different."

I think they were quite amazed...

So for the test I turned it off but for the rest of the day, even the while singing and reading a book to them I had it play and asked them at the end of the lesson, if it bothered them. None of them said yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment