Tuesday 9 February 2016

5th of February - Unit 2 test

This Unit 2 test had three parts: listening, reading and writing.

Those tests are out of the official young world teaching material. I have to admit that I was a little worried about the reading because we left that whole topic of people migrating completely aside but since we really practised the "have to" topic a lot and since we talked a lot about animals I figured that this would kind of even out.

Listening:
The commentary that comes with the Young World tells you exactly how to correct and grade it.
10 Pts = 6
9 Pts = 5.5
8 Pts = 5
7 Pts = 4.5
6 Pts = 4
5 Pts and below = failed

So for each correct answer they got a point. In some cases it was clear what the answer was and in some cases they had to write freely. In the second case I just gave them half a point for a correct part of the answer when there could have been more to write. That's how I got the 0.25 grades.

The class did great! They got an average of 5.35 which is pretty impressive! I got 4x 6 / 2x 5.75 / 4x 5.5 / 1x 5.25 / 1x 5 / 1x 4.75 /1x 4 / 1x 3.75


Reading:
According to the commentary the test was to be graded like this:
12 Pts = 6
11 Pts = 5.75
10 Pts = 5.5
9 Pts = 5
8 Pts = 4.5
7 Pts = 4
6 Pts and below = fail

The 5.75 is my interpretation. It could also be that 11 would have meant a 6 but it's just not 100%. That's why I added the 5.75.

The class did great! I got 3x 5.75 / 5x 5.5 / 4x 5 / 2x 4.5 and 1x 4 (one girl had the flue) That's a average of 5.2!!! That's amazing! So there was no reason to worry. Those kids are quiet good readers even though we didn't practise reading too much this term. This will definitely be more on the schedule next term. My main focus was really their speaking because they hardy spoke at all.

Writing:
According to the commentary this test was to be graded like this:
20 Pts = 6
19 Pts = 5.75
18 Pts = 5.5
...
12 Pts = 4

The class got 4x 6 / 1x 5.75 / 7x 5.5 / 1x 5 / 1x 4 and 1x 2.5 (with one girl missing) that's an average of 5.32!!! But the 4 and especially the 2.5 hurt! Well the guy with the 4 just formulated sentences like "I have to do going to school" and I did point that out to him, when I handed back those papers they had written about two weeks ago. And the one with the 2.5 hardly ever used the the "have to" at all. She used wrote "They have pets." "They have brothers and sisters." But thank goodness I did the reading with them because there she made a 5.5. I did not write the 2.5 on her test neither, I just wrote "insufficient".

Well overall I'm pretty impressed by how these kids did on those three tests. For some time I wondered if we had done enough on the topic because we spent so much time with those animals and with the question drills... But after correcting these tests I'm relieved. They have really learnt a lot :-)

1 comment: