Monday 16 November 2015

(Friday) 13th of November - not superstitious but...

OK... Today was definitely not my day... I'm not superstitious AT ALL but I really didn't have a good day. Nothing really came out the way I planned it. I'm not sure if the kids even realised but I did...

I will make this post as short as possible because it definitely wasn't my best lesson. 

ACTIVE READING
First, I read the third part of  the "Arctic Tern" text to them and they got it pretty fast, since they have already listened to the whole text passively for at least two hours. 

QUESTIONS
Before the lesson, I put something on the wall that I thought would help them get the questions right BUT there is way too much on those papers... So this will definitely not stay at the wall!!!



And still, I gathered the class in front of the blackboard and went through those papers with them. I read possible questions to them and had them repeat them after me.

Then they went back to their desks and I told them, that I had a word in my mind and they had to find out what it was by asking questions I could answer with yes or now - so all sorts of questions without question words. First I thought of a kangaroo and then of a leaf. Actually I wanted to put them in groups of three and wanted them to do the same with the vocabulary of Unit 1 but I didn't get to cut them the card...

LISTENING COMPREHENSION
To end the lesson, I read another chapter of the "Wonder" to them. I put them in pairs to discuss what they had understood and we pretty much got the whole story together. It seems that they are really getting used to picking up the important information of a book, they don't know all the vocabulary. So I'll get another listening comprehension test ready for them soon.

Actually, this was it already... Seems like I didn't get to anything today...

PREPERATION FOR NEXT LESSON (VOCABULARY CARDS)
After the lesson I stayed behind and cut all the word cards that I had prepared. I made my own vocabulary list for this lesson because there is so much of "useless" vocabulary in the back of the Activity Book but rather useful vocabulary is missing. So I put the whole vocabulary, I want them to know, into the Quizlet and printed it out as small cards. But I found out that this will definitely be the one and only time I do this for the class. What I'll do next time is just to cut off the borders and down the middle column and let them cut those few lines themselves. But for this unit it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment