Wednesday 11 November 2015

9th of November 2015 - Our new speaking aim...

First thing in the morning, long time before the English lesson started, I asked the kids what flag they would like to have for their new flag pole. They could chose any English speaking country so I made many suggestions. 6 kids chose the USA, two chose Canada, 2 New Zealand, 1 Australia, 1 South Africa, 1 Ireland, 1 Great Britain, 1 Scotland, 1 England and 1 even chose Wales  (I didn't even know how this flag looks but I thought that if I offer Scotland, which I just HAD TO offer, than I had to offer Wales and England as well, to be "politically correct")

So this is how those flags look now:



They all have a flagpole now with a range of numbers from -7 to 7 and the aim is to get the flag (which is glued to a peg) up as high as possible by speaking English and every time they say something in German, the flag goes down. I have to admit, that I have to get used to this first because it's not so easy to keep up with it and it made me realise how fast I get those few to answer me that always raise their hand. My personal aim with this flag is to see, who has not answered yet and to encourage them to do so...

Well the rest of this lesson is easily told.

FORMULATING QUESTIONS
We are still working on those question forms and I created a work sheet for them which we looked at together. I will mix the forms next time and I will hang a sheet of paper on the wall with all the auxiliary verbs because they need them for the negative forms as well... But right after having gone through those questions I was asked "Mrs. Kündig, do we must ... ?" from three different kids, so it's definitely not in their heads yet...

ACTIVE READING PART II
I read to them the second part of the "Arctic Tern" and as the kids where finished, they could go to and DIY...

More DIY Posts
For today, I decoded two songs they had on their wish list and had them ready on MP3 players. I also had all the Penguin Readers scanned in and a name list ready where they could write down, if they wanted me to print a book for them. And I had "Gossi the dragon" incl. MP3 players ready for the kids to look at.



Fotogalerie

It's a story by Karin Holenstein that has been decoded in German already and comes with the audio book as well. And I showed the class how to use the Ocean Treasures on my Lap Top.

READING A CHAPTER OUT OF THE WONDER
Again I read a chapter out of our book to the class. But this time without any questions. I just want them to get used to more complex texts and I asked them at the end, what they had understood and they understood quiet a lot. One of the next times I'll let them take notes and ask them to write a short resume about what they have understood :-)

Incredible how fast a single lesson of English flies by after having had 3 double lessons...


1 comment:

  1. I played a funny game yesterday. Send a child out of the classroom. Tell all the kids to put their hands behind their backs and give one child the outside child's pen (or something). Let the child in and tell him/her that someone took his/her pen. The child has to go around and ask "Do you have my pencil?" Someone counts how many times the child asked. Then send another child out - repeat performance. Do this a couple times until you find out who has asked the fewest questions! So my point is that perhaps there needs to be more drilling?? They need practice saying it until it sounds normal?? So for "Do I have to" you can play the High Fives. Stand in a circle. Say "Do you have to clean your bathroom"? Those who DO, step up to the middle, then shout and give high fives to one another "Yes we have to clean our bathrooms" and then let the kids ask the questions! Drilling??? It is just a quick way to get a lot of opportunities to say something even though I am fully cognizant of the drawbacks!

    ReplyDelete