Tuesday 26 January 2016

25th of January - Question Drill - things you have to do.

Question Drill
We started our lesson with another question drill. This time it was about formulating questions to given answers. I had prepared the following answers:
  • Yes, I like dancing.
  • No, we are not from Germany.
  • Yes, you look good in this dress.
  • No, I am not worried about the test. 
  • Yes, I would like to play soccer this afternoon. 
  • No, he is not in my house.
  • Yes, he goes to school. 
  • No she does not like chocolate.
  • Yes, you must do this. 
  • No, you aren't a good team. 
  • Yes, he wants more.
  • No, you are not good enough.
  • Yes, I would like to come to your party.
  • No she doesn't like animals. 
  • Yes, you have to clean your room. 
  • No, my car isn't dirty.
So I read each one out loud and picked kids to give me the question. Even though I only picked each child once, they all raised their hands as soon as they knew the question. Because I'm still counting the numbers of where their flag is at the end of the lesson. I have to admit that I was quiet amazed how well they did. They got most forms correctly using either the auxiliary verb or the "to do". When it came to "my house" or "your party" I pointed at me or them so the realised that they needed to ask for "your house" and "my party". For a homework they got page -7- of their question book incl. correcting it.

have to
Then we chanted the "things we have to do" from the Young World Pupils book. I interrupted them after a few lines and asked them to speak louder and they did. After that they made an exercise in the Activity Book about "have to" where they had to formulate sentence with "I have to...", "My teacher has to..." and so on.

Then I put them in pairs and asked them to interview each other. "Do you have to brush your teeth?" - "Yes I have to brush my teeth." / "Do you have to wash the dishes?" - "No I don't have to wash the dishes." That way the practised asking questions and using the have to. They did great and there was a lot of English speaking going on in the classroom. I walked by the desks and gave them thumbs up after overhearing their conversation so they could raise their flags.

Then I wanted to hear a sentence each about things they had to do.

For the last 10 minutes of the lesson I handed out some papers and asked them to write as many sentences as they could, without looking at the examples in the Young World, about what they had to do, what their parents have to do, their pets have to do, their siblings have to do etc. I told them that I would give each of them an individual feedback about it, so they knew what they have to be careful with.

Right before the lesson ended, I collected these papers and looked at them at home. They did really good. There were very few errors where they tried to use the continuous forms of the verb like "My pet has to going..." I'll point that out on Friday... With the pet, some used the word "food" as "to eat" and some as "to feed" so I will point that out as well. Very, very few forgot the "has" at 3rd person singular. Actually the mistake that was done the most were the possessive determiners. They heard the "brush my teeth" and wanted to use this with their sisters, their parents but didn't know the "her" or "their". So this will definitely be worth looking at with the class.

3 comments:

  1. SOunds like a great lesson! I am sitting here wondering what the mere fact of blogging has done to your teaching - do you think if you had not blogged about it, you might have not developed as much or experimented as much? Or do you think blogging has hindered some of your creativity because you know people are watching???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura, this is a good question. I think it might be kind of both... My English lessons definitly had a very high priority when it comes to preperation and I am not 100% sure if I could do all this extra work if it was just one of all the subjects that a full time teacher teaches. But still I believe that it deserves this attention. I really start questioning if the aim that ZH has to have no more than two different teachers for a class is really good for language teaching. I'm pretty sure, that a pure English teacher that has her/his kids from second to sixth grade would be able to establish English lessons that are a whole lot more divers than a teacher who teaches 28 lessons a week with two of them being English.
      But yes there might have been days where I would just have held a more spontanious or creative English lesson if I hadn't been blogging about it.

      Delete
  2. you might have not developed as much or experimented as much? Or do you think blogging has hindered some of your creativity because you know people are watching???


    ** goldenslot mobile**
    ** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**

    ReplyDelete